18 December 2010

Happily Ever After

I braved the snow and cycled to see Su Blackwell's current exhibition 'Happily Ever After' in the Long & Ryle Gallery! I couldn't feel my hands when I got there but it was worth it. It was brilliant to see her work in the flesh after all these years of admiring it online! 
I was taking it all in, studying the way she constructs her sculptures - I expected a lot of invisible thread and was surprised to see it was mainly wire. What I didn't realise was that the books she sculpts have actual significance to what she is illustrating, so I fell even more in love when I noticed that her Red Riding Hood book sculpture was actually made out of an old copy of Red Riding Hood.


This one was my favourite! I got chatting with the girl working there who treated me to a free copy of the exhibition catalogue! Made my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment